Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I'mmmmmm Baaaaaaaaack!

Good Lord I haven't blogged since March 1st of 2012.  I haven't been any where I guess I just let it slip away I guess that happens well I'm back at it and I'm hoping to stick with it on a regular basis this time around.

Since the last time I was here I've turned 50 and 51 and become a member of AARP...... don't laugh they offer some pretty nice discounts and offers for members I don't need their Medicare supplement insurance yet but hey I'll take discounts on my cell phone, car rentals etc plus Marlo Thomas usual writes a little something in the free magazine.

I've also had some pretty major dental work done.  I let dental care go from very good as a child and teenager to non existent for the last almost 30 years.  It wasn't like my teeth were falling out or anything nasty like that I had always had good teeth, never needed braces, had cavities but not tons of them, but over the many years of no expert care they suffered. With the prompting and prodding of my Sisters Leslie and Jenny I bit the bullet and made an appointment to see the Dentist that they've been seeing.  For the initial exam, X-rays and cleaning it was 75 dollars.  Leslie even paid for it which was nice.  I arrived at Dr. Steckbauer's ( I know same name... a cousin from the Antigo branch of the family.) practice not knowing what to expect.  The staff was nice, very young and friendly I was given a tour..... got a nice blankets a welcome gift and then hit the chair.

My dental hygienist  Amanda introduced herself and started the initial exam, small talk ensued, she talked I just made noises as I had two hands in my mouth, X-rays were taken all  digital no need for the 200 lbs. lead blanket, back to the chair when all was said and done my teeth were declared in very good shape including my 4 perfectly aligned wisdom teeth that I didn't the I even had.  I had just one new cavity............. get out after all these years just one cavity well it was in one of the wisdom teeth so ok I'll take it.  My gums on the other hand were in pretty bad shape I didn't have gingivitis I had full blown periodontal disease not horrible but bad enough that I would need further treatment.  More on that in a bit.  Dr Steckbauer finally made an appearance to examine my teeth not so much the gums Amanda had that covered.  Even though I only had one new cavity I had several old ones that needed to be replaced okay no biggie I have decent insurance.  Back to the gums two treatments available laser surgery for $7000 out of pocket, scaling and planing $700 out of pocket.  I'll get back to you on that!

Anyway by the end of summer my old cavities had been replace, new cavity was filled and fine and gums were returning to a healthy state.  I now have a water pik and do my gums twice a day, an electric toothbrush that works very nice and is used at least twice a day, the bleeding is no more and I need to have cleanings done every three months.  I'm just glad I have my oral health back in line, it was painful, very painful but worth it.  Speaking of cleaning I have an appointment next week!

The other big change has been with my weight I don't own a scale probably never will but I have lost about 50 pounds.  Yippee!  No drastic diet, nothing real special at all. Just Bulimia.  Just kidding that's what I tell people!  I don't do fast food very often maybe once every six weeks, I eat what I've always eaten.  I don't drink beer like I used to and that's a real big part of it I still partake but not as often as I used to. My job is also much more  physical and that burns the calories and fat what little is left of it.  It's nice to have to buy new slacks with a 34 or 36 inch waist rather than 40 know what I mean?  

So those are the major events since last time.  I'll start being catty and out spoken i my next few postings I promise.  I'm still working with fruits and veggies at Walmart.  Rizzo is still my right hand four legged best Buddy and I still have  a healthy appetite for Pop Culture and all it entails!

No comments:

Post a Comment